Monday 3 September 2012

An Interview with TEDxAlgonquinPark speaker Terri LeRoux




       Although currently working in Mississauga, Terri LeRoux worked as a warden in Algonquin Park for 3 years. She is a hike enthusiast, canoeist and nature activist. In her own words “A gray, rainy day in Algonquin is still better than a sunny day anywhere else in the world.” Below she answers a few questions for us.

Why should we go on a hike?

      Aside from the health benefits of hiking, I have always found an innate pleasure in just being outside, especially in the wilderness. Time spent on a trail seems to move slower, allowing an opportunity to reflect on the things that are really important. Ontarians are blessed with an incredibly diverse network of trails to choose from. Trails that lead users through varied landscapes and provide us an opportunity to access reaches of our province that wouldn’t otherwise be accessible.  

What do you think is nature’s greatest beauty?

      Every element of nature has its own beauty. From the airy dance of a butterfly to the majestic awe of Barron Canyon, there is beauty everywhere. Personally, I am most drawn to water. A natural waterfall, an evaporating puddle, a cold stream, a still lake.

What are some ways we can help nature out?

      I think the key is in recognizing that we are nature, it is not something external to or separate from us. When people realize and accept this connection, it seems that protection, preservation and a commitment to environmental responsibility naturally occur.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

      I believe that happiness is a decision and like perfection, it is also highly subjective. Some people are born smiling, but most of us have to work at it. The perfect happiness I choose always involves my husband, my son, my chocolate lab and a lake.

Who are your heroes in real life?

      My parents. Both independently and collectively.

What is your motto?

      The best things in life aren’t things.

What does Algonquin Park mean to you?

      Algonquin is constantly pulling on my mind and soul, and my affection for Algonquin Park runs deeper than that which is truly comprehensible to me. It is not something I know or truly understand, it is justsomething I feel. Unlike any other place I have ever known, I receive from Algonquin exactly what I need from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment