Thursday 30 August 2012

An Interview with TEDxAlgonquinPark speaker Adam van Koeverden


Canadian Olympian Adam van Koeverden’s Kayak prowess is surely impressive. Adam took home the silver in this year’s K1 1000 kayak race at the London Olympics. With three previous Olympic medals, one in every colour and numerous titles, Adam Van Koeverden is a Canadian athlete that inspires all of us. He has a cabin in Algonquin Park and knows that there really is no place like it. Here he graciously answers a few questions for us.


What does it feel like to be an Olympian?


It feels great! One of the main reasons I've always been inspired to train really hard and push myself to be my best is so that I could simply be among this fraternity of athletes. I feel like I'm part of a global group of men and women that are mutually and reciprocally inspired by excellence. I get way more excited when I see another athlete in say, the airport, than I would if a Hollywood actor walked by. Simply put, I really love my job.

What is your advice for aspiring athletes?

Work hard. Always do it for fun and for the love of your sport first, and allow yourself to be inspired by the people you surround yourself with.

What is your most memorable race?

My most recent one! Perhaps it's just because it is the one I've been talking about the most over the past few weeks! All of my races are memorable, I remember the good ones, and the terrible ones. I like remembering the races where I seriously fell short, since those are the ones where I've learned the most about myself, and stolen a lot of life lessons from.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Making what you do everyday as close to what you dream about every night.

Who are your heroes in real life?

My friends and my Grandmother.

What is your motto?

I have two.

"The best is yet to come".

"If this isn't nice, I don't know what is" -Kurt Vonnegut.

What does Algonquin Park mean to you?

It's my place of worship. It's the only place I've been where I've known the definition of the word "spiritual".


No comments:

Post a Comment